The UPS truck appeared…………with a huge box from Dean and Deluca. Packed on ice, inside was an entire smoked salmon, sliced paper thin. Thank you dear friend!!!
Champagne was immediately put on ice. Blinis made. Feasting began a couple of hours later. And in the morning. And again for lunch.
And again the next morning, when I made little puffy omelettes to layer with swaths of smoked salmon. Of all the versions, this was the best. The lightness of the eggs made a perfect bed for the fish.
I made them in 4 inch tartlette molds which were buttered and dusted with flour.
They take all but a few minutes to bake into omelettes as light as clouds because you make them in the manner of a souffle.
I am including the recipe here for little souffléd omelets. Hope you like them! Brunch?!
Puffy Omelettes with Smoked Salmon
- 4 egg whites, room temperature
- 4 egg yolks, room temperature
- 1/8 teaspoon
- 1/8 teaspoon
salt and pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 pound
- 1 small red onion, sliced very thinly
- 2 tablespoons
- 1/2 lemon, sliced in wedges
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour 4 4-inch tartlet shells.
- Beat egg yolks with baking powder, turmeric, salt and pepper until thick and pale.
- Beat egg whites until stiff.
- Fold egg yolks into egg whites.
- Pour into shells and bake for 8 minutes. Remove from the oven and immediately unmold and serve with slices of smoked salmon on top.
- Serve with onions, capers, lemon and sour cream.
You might also like: