Can you smell it??? The fragrance of strawberries and fresh basil is intoxicating. This strawberry ice cream is not silky smooth, but rather it has texture and a vibrant color. And the joy of making it is that you can do it without having to have an ice cream machine.
I discovered the technique when I was visiting a friend and was responsible for making dessert. I was yearning for ice cream and she didn't have a machine. So I played around with a blender and it resulted in a quick delicious ice cream that was amazingly easy to make. No fancy ingredients. No eggs. Just fruit and cream.
Here are the steps to making it:
Take frozen strawberries out of the freezer and allow them to thaw for about 15 minutes, or just long enough so that they are not rock hard but still frozen. Add them to a blender and whiz with the heavy cream mixture until smooth.
Sooooo delicious and so easy. Next time I will add some minced fresh basil leaves to the ice cream mixture. I really liked the combination. You can make this with any frozen fruit…..then fold in nuts, chocolate, crumbled amaretti cookies, or anything else.
When you are in a hurry, when you don't have a machine, and when you don't want to fuss, this produces an old fashioned kind of ice cream delivering old fashioned goodness.
Strawberry Ice Cream Without An Ice Cream Machine
- 24 ounces frozen strawberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- Take the frozen strawberries out of the freezer and allow to thaw for at least 15 minutes. They can still be frozen, just not rock hard! Then put all of the strawberries in a blender.
- Whisk the sugar, vanilla extract, almond extract, and heavy cream together and add to the blender. Blend until smooth.
- Transfer the strawberry cream mixture to a container and put in the freezer for at least one hour or until it can easily be scooped. Serve.