This is everyone’s favorite recipe from my cookbook (Cuisine Niçoise) and it would be a lovely treat to make for Mother’s Day. Any fruit can be substituted and it is quick and easy to make. I can’t help eating half of it right out of the oven, but if you can, let it cool and surprise Mom. It’s luscious.
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cups sugar, divided, plus 2 tablespoons
- 7 peaches, unpeeled, sliced thickly
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Butter and flour a 9-inch pie plate or tart pan with a removable bottom.
- In a bowl, beat the butter until fluffy. Add the flour and 1/4 cup sugar, and work with your hands until it comes together into a dough. Press dough into the pie plate or tart pan.
- Lay the peaches in a decorative spiral pattern in the pie plate. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup sugar.
- Bake at 400 degrees F. for 20 minutes.
- Beat the eggs with 1 tablespoon sugar and vanilla and almond extracts. Whisk in the heavy cream and pour all on top of the peaches.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon sugar and return to the oven. Bake for 30 minutes, until the top is golden. Allow to cool and set before serving.