One hot summer when I was a teenager, a group of us walked down a dirt road under a full moon to the corn field. We picked corn, sat on the ground, pulled back the husks, and ate the corn raw. It was the sweetest corn I've ever had. Ever since then, when fresh corn arrives in the market, I make a raw corn salad.
You have to have very sweet, fresh corn for this recipe. The sugar cube sweetness pairs well with a dressing made with lime juice and basil.
And toss the corn with the dressing. A light, healthy, clean tasting salad, perfect to side any summer dish. Or to eat under a full moon.
Corn Salad with Lime Dressing
- 5 ears fresh corn
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 8 fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 lime juiced
- Wash the ears of corn and pat them dry.
- Slice off the kernels from the corn into a bowl.
- In a food processor, add the olive oil, fresh basil leaves, salt, Dijon mustard and the juice from the lime.
- Whiz to blend well, then toss the corn kernels with the lime dressing.